[gothic-l] Re: Another new member with some questions: gawidan

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Mar 16 18:05:43 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "gutiska" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> Hi, I just wanna introduce myself and ask some questions.
>
> You may call me Friþareiks which a prefer rather that fredrik.

Hails Frithareik!

> I'm realy foudn of a revival of the gothic language and to
> reconstruct the vocabulary and words that didn't exist at their
time.
> Like TV, computer etc. I usualy work with that stuff and have some
> suggestions for those kinda words.
> I have a question about the word gawidan which i saw someone wrote
> about and said to mean "to join together" could it mean
like "unite"
> also, cause I have been looking for a word with the
meaning 'unite'.
> E.g. United States of America, how would it be in gothic?
> And: Workers of all countries, unite!

Yes, gawidan means 'join' or 'unite'.  It occurs at Mark 10,19
thatei guth gawath 'that which God has joined'.  I guess The United
States could be: Tho Gawidanona Reikja.  And for "workers of the
world unite", try: Gagahaftnith, fairhwaus waurstwans!  (There's a
few possibilities for that one).

> Questions number 2: The word 'welcome', is that 'wailaqumans' ???

I don't think that exists in any of the surviving manuscripts of
Gothic, but it seems like a good reconstruction to me.  The normal
greeting was hails (as in: hails thiudan Iudaie "hail, king of the
Jews").  Old Norse velkominn would be Goth. *wailaqumans, but Old
English used: wilcuma (literally a "welcome person", but also used
as a greeting "welcome!") I think that would translate into Goth. as
wiljaquma (inflected like a weak noun/adjective).

Gawairthi thus,

Llama Nom