[gothic-l] Re: Gothic equivalent for English 'must'

matthew carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Mon May 10 18:30:17 UTC 2004

hails!

also there i believe is the possibility of
the construction "skulds ist (+DAT)"
meaning it is owing, lawful. Thaurfts
from tharf- has the meaning of necessity,
obligation. I thought these were impersonal
constructions requiring a dative. Where
does the phrase with thaurfts occur in the
gothic bible as a modal or auxiliary verb?

-matthew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM