[gothic-l] Re: Spanish surnames

Leonardo Frithunanths frithunanths_scandza at YAHOO.ES
Sun May 16 21:40:55 UTC 2004

Hails Allum!

After an absence of 3 years I've returned to this list, and apparently nothing much has changed around here, thank God. :)

I would like to make comment on what Oscargoth once wrote.

Oscar,- I couldn't agree more with you!!!!

But regarding a possible division where one part would speak spanish and another one gothic, well, I'm not very much into the 'good old' "Divide and conquer/rule" system, I think that we've seen too much of that throughout history.

But I'm most definitely positive to that idea of awakening the spanish people into the knowledge of their glorious legacy, the Visigoths, successors of the romans and defenders of the Iberian Peninsula.  This glorious, highly intelligent and also from a cultural/religious point of view, interesting people who in modern times have most often been blemished by far too many people(specially from the church...). For me it seems extremely reasonable to do all this (except for the division of Spain) considering the following things:                 In Spain there's today a growing awareness of their celtic heritage, very much expressed in e.g newly founded cultural groups and feasts. Euskera needs no further introduction considering the great importance that it already enjoys in today's Northern Spain. Regarding Iberian, well.. very little is known still today about this ancient language and apparently those who understand it, even a little bit, are all scientists or amateur scientists.
 Arabic is taught in Spain at several institutions and besides, today's spanish urban citizens have a close contact with them and their culture considering the vast amount of arabic inmigrants that live in Spain today.

Latin and the cultures that it spawned has, is and will most definitely always be taught at schools, universities and other institutions throughout Spain.

It therefore leaves us with the Gothic discourse. As people in Spain are taught in history about the Romans, La Reconquista and the Moors(+ the very, very little that is also taught about the Iberians, Basques, Greeks, Phoenicians, Celts/Celtiberians, Alans and the Germanic tribes). Spanish is being taught, as well as other languages which have nothing much to do with the Peninsula such as English or French. Why can't Gothic be taught then? Considering that they did  establish themselves on the Peninsula, they ruled and influenced it forever by mixing themselves with the rest of the population. They also provided to the heritage by leaving customs, sayings, words and other cultural traits. As mentioned, they ruled it and left behind them significant edifications such as churches, monuments etc... and even at least one town(!) such as Reccopolis.

The goths and their descendants were crucial in all means in contributing to the outcome of what is known today as Spain.

Therefore I call out to everyone out there (especialmente a aquellos de esta lista que viven en España), isn't there anything that can be done in order to promulge yet again the knowledge(e.g their language, history and religion) about AND of the Goths in Spain?

'Anything?! There must be!

Thank you in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Leonardo.

Ansts jah gawairthi izwis! - Grace and peace to you.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM