[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Naming Elements

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Nov 2 08:38:14 UTC 2004

Le,

As ever, Gerhard Koebler's "Gotisches Woerterbuch" is worth a look.
It has a large appendix devoted Gothic names, cross-referenced where
possible with entries in the main dictionary.

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html
http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
erterbuch/GotischeNamen.pdf

A list I think Nualle might have used:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Salon/2385/gothnames.html

...which is also worth looking at, as Nualle (sorry Nualle!) has
missed off some of the stem vowels (e.g. from Auda- (This is
attested in the compound auda-hafts 'happy, blessed')).  But Guntha-
is wrong in the original list; it ought to be Gunthi- (At least this
is how we would expect it to appear in 'classical' Gothic).  This
list gives reconstructed Gothic forms with Old English cognates.  I
believe it comes originally from Henry Bradley's "The Goths"
(1891).  It is more normal to spell words which appear here with
<y>, with <j>.  Thus: sunja-, -gauja, etc.  Also, -friths should be -
frithus (it actually appears as -frithas in the Gothic calendar
fragment, but this reflects a confusion of unstressed vowels in
later Gothic).  Similarly for Frith-, read Frithu-.  And Gaisu-
should really be Gaisa- or Gaiza-, corresponding to Indo-European
cognates.  Bradley's Gaisu- reflects an old misunderstanding caused
by a misreading of an Old English name (according to Campbell's Old
English Grammar).

Sigisa- appears in the attested compound sigislaun 'reward of
victory' without the connecting stem vowel.

On the basis of niuja-satiths 'novice', I would suggest Gauja-, in
place of Bradley's Gawi-.

>From Old Norse cognates, Thrasa- might have meant something
like 'furious', 'raging', rather than 'confident'.  But Gothic
thrasa-balthei seems to mean 'impetuosity' (it is used in a bad
sense).  So I don't know.

-berga (and cognates) in female Germanic names is usually taken to
mean something like 'protection, preservation, saving, help', cf. OE
beorgan, Go. bairgan.  I think the word for 'mountain' is related
through the idea of 'covering/sheltering'.

It's not possible to tell from cognate Gmc. languages whether Go.
would have had *hildi, *gunthi, or *hilds, *gunths.  But the -is
endings in these names, together with forms like Diindihildi suggest
that they were probably jo-stems in Wulfilan Gothic: *hildi, *gunthi.

Hmmmm, what else?  I'm sure there was once a really nice academic
site that aimed to catalogue Germanic names from all the early
sources, but I can't remember what it was called...

Nualle,

Good work, anyway.  Pay no heed to my nit picking!!  You're right
about -ram = chramn.  It's the same word as English RAVEN.  Huna-,
Hune- probably does mean 'Hun', as you guess.  It also appears in
East Germanic names.  Chrodo- = OE hroth (as in: Hrothgar).  OE ecg
may have a Gothic cognate *Agja- (cf. Koebler's names appendix).
OHG Hadu- = OE Heatho-.  OE -laf = Go. -laifs (recorded in Lat. as -
laiphus).

If you get really obsessed with Germanic names here's some addresses
that might help you to fill in the gaps:

http://hem.passagen.se/peter9/gram/l_namn.html

(A good introduction to Old Norse name formation.)

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/aa_texts.html

The Germanic Lexicon Project: loads of dictionaries here and text
books which will fill you in on the sound changes needed to convert
names from one language to another.  Also the etymology of words,
showing what the stem vowels are.  Wright's Gothic Grammar has the
rules on how to make compound words, when the stem vowel is
abbridged, etc.

Another handy resourse, albeit in Swedish:

http://www.sofi.se/SOFIU/lup/urnord.pdf

This is a "Lexicon of Proto-Norse personal names", including Proto-
Norse reconstructions of names in Beowulf.  And also here, a
dictionary of names found in Norse runic inscriptions generally:

http://www.sofi.se/SOFIU/runlex/

Hope there's something of use in that lot,

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Nualle Schallenberger <nualle at y...>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM