[gothic-l] Re: word question

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Nov 4 01:03:10 UTC 2004

Hi Fredrik,

There is a single word in Gothic letters on a stone (not a
tombstone) found at the Benedictine convent of Brunshausen.  A Latin
inscription identifies these as runic letters, but in fact they
belong to Wulfila's alphabet, and spell: "waiþja", which Koebler
defines Jaeger, hunter, huntsman (cf. OIc. veiðr 'hunting', OE
waþ 'wandering, hunting', NHG Weide 'meadow', Weidmann 'huntsman').
He gives a date of c. 822.  Could that be what you're thinking of?
It would imply a hypothetical Go. *waiþi or *waiþa (the OIc. word is
a jo-stem, the OE an o-stem).

The English word whit, as in the old fashioned expression "not a
whit" (not a bit) = Go. waihts.  There's hvaiteis 'wheat', and
hveits 'white', as Francisc mentioned.  Otherwise I don't know...

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:

> I got a question about it. It should be a sibngle word found on a
> tombstone.
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor"
<fericzobor at y...>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM