[gothic-l] Re: du usfilhan ana gastim

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Nov 12 08:07:43 UTC 2004

Hi Sigi,

And thanks for your suggestions!

> As far
> as I know, there is no single verb in the Gothic Bible for the
> (jewish?) custom of stoning someone; rather, it is translated
> by "throwing stones *ana* someone".

At 2Cor 11,25 eliqasqhn = stainiths was "I was stoned".  Another
alternative, with a nominal compliment, but no preposition J 11,8:
sokidedun thuk afwairpan stainam "sought to stone thee"
(instrumental dat.)

I see that all the examples you give, of throwing something at
someone, have ANA +acc.  I wonder if there are any dative examples?
With verbs of "going", as you know, the opposition with ANA and IN
is:

+acc. = direction
+dat. = position, direction

Acc. is maybe twice as commonly used for direction?  The situation
is similar with IN, with acc. possibly 3 times as common for
direction -- but this difference in proportion might not be
significant: I only counted a small sample.  UF and UNDAR might
behave in a similar way, but I think there's only one example each
of acc. (direction) & dat. (position) with UF.  And one acc.
(direction) with UNDAR.  So this is more of an inference.

But both acc. & dat. are used with ANA for things falling or thrown
onto the ground, or "descending onto":

1) Mk 11,8 wastjom seinaim strawidedun ana wiga "they strewed their
clothes on the road"

2) Mat 5,45 jah rigneith ana garaihtans jah inwidans "it rains on
the just and the unjust"

So maybe ANA +dat. could theoretically be used as well as ANA +acc.
for missiles, etc. striking a non horizontal object.  Or maybe not,
I don't know...  Acc. seems to be more common, anyway.

3) L 1,35 ahma weihs atgaggith ana thuk "the Holy Spirit shall come
upon you"

4) J 7,39 ni nauhthanuh was ahma sa weiha ana im "the Holy Spirit
was not yet upon them"

Metaphorical uses continue the pattern, with acc. where the image is
of a horizontal trajectory "at, against", and dat. for things
falling "onto, on top of": gadriusan ana +dat. (R 11,22), afhrisjan
ana +acc. (L 9,5), (faur)sniwan ana +acc. (1Thess 2,16; 1Tim 1,8),
weitwodjan ana +acc.(J 27, 13), ushof fairzna ana mik (J 13,18).  Do
you know any exceptions?

> So, my guess is that "usfilhan ana gastim" means: "to be buried
> towards/near/at the foreigners", expressing negative connotations
of
> the burial location (perhaps something like "they threw his body
in
> the ground where they bury the foreigners, a grave unfit for a
jew").

To recap: the priests are talking not about where to bury Judas, who
has only just gone off to hang himself, but what to do with the
field.  But yes I guess it could be "they got rid of the field and
threw it (metaphorically) at the foreigners for them to use for
their burials."  Right, I'll try to paraphrase the suggestions so
far:

1) to be buried in, by foreigners (Terry)
2) ? to bury ... foreigners (Durante)
3) for burials among the foreign community (Llama)
4) at the foreigners, for their burials (Sigi)

Appologies to everyone who's ideas I may have garbled here!  In
defense of Terry's suggestion, we should probably bear in mind that
the natural word order may be distorted (or unexpectedly natural),
and that an adverbial ANA wouldn't sound so strange if it read:
gastim du anafilhan -- apart from the fact that this would mean
something quite different "to commend to foreigners".  Actually,
come to think of it, that might be a good reason *not* to think of
it as adverbial in this instance, quite apart from the lack of other
examples of it appearing as a separable adverb.

I wonder what the force of the Greek dative is here (tois cenois).
English translations suggest "for foreigners", which would make me
expect a Gothic preposition like FAUR (cf. 1Cor 5,7, etc.) or AT
(cf. Mk 3,9; J 14,23; N 5,15).

In defense of ANA = "among", cf. 2Cor 7,7 and Calendar 10,23 & 29.
Although I'm not sure to what extent _ana guttthiudai_ would
mean "among the Goths", or "in the land of the Goths".

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Sigi Vandewinkel"
<sigivandewinkel at y...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few years ago I have written an MA thesis on Gothic
prepositions,
> and here's what I've been able to come up with on "usfilhan ana
> gastim". To my knowledge, there is no instance of "ana" being used
as
> an adverb. If "ana" in Mt. 27:7 indeed is a preposition (and not
an
> adverb), perhaps it is related to instances such as the following:
>
> 1) ik jah atta meins ain siju. nemun aftra stainans þai Iudaieis,
> ei
> waurpeina ana ina (Jn 10:31).
> "'I and my father are one.' The jews again took stones, so they
[the
> stones] would be thrown at Him"
>
> 2) jah dugunnun sumai speiwan ana wlit is jah huljan andwairþi
> isjah
> kaupatjan ina [...](Mk 14:65).
> "And some started to spit on His face and hid His face and beat
Him
> [...]"
>
> 3) [...] jah gasmait imma ana augona þata fani þamma blindin
> (Jn
> 9:6).
> [...] and He smeared him, the blind one, on the eyes that mud."
>
> "ana" in these instances involves an object moving towards and
making
> contact with another object. That contact usually is unpleasant
> (throwing stones, spitting at someone -- perhaps even smearing
saliva
> and sand on someone's face, before you know it's beneficial). As
far
> as I know, there is no single verb in the Gothic Bible for the
> (jewish?) custom of stoning someone; rather, it is translated
> by "trowing stones *ana* someone". I think the difference
> between "ana" here and regular Gothic prepositions expressing the
> notion "towards" ("du" and "at") is that "du" and "at" do not
involve
> contact.
>
> As for the dative case: "ana" can take both the accusative and the
> dative case, and it is one of the few prepositions (four?) where
an
> opposition accusative-dative corresponds to an opposition dynamic-
> static (as is the case on a much larger scale in present-day
German).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM