[gothic-l] Re: Want som comments and corrections

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Nov 15 22:11:30 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When I made this translation I didn't use the greek to translate
> from. Instead I used, mostly, the swedish, and also a little the
> english and an older version of the english. Why I did that is
> because I can't understand a single word in greek, almost.

Hi there Fredrik,

I don't know that much Greek myself;)  One trick is to look in the
Greek-Gothic appendix of Gerhard Koebler's dictionary (
http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html ), to see if that word
was translated anywhere in the surviving portions of the Gothic
Bible, and if so with what.  Another handy link which Matthew showed
me recently is The Unbound Bible site ( http://unbound.biola.edu/ ),
where you can search various bibles, for example to see if the Greek
word (or anything similar) occurs in the relevant sections.  Of
course, this takes ages--or it does for me, anyway--which is why I
only managed a few lines!

> Just some question more about this: which version of 20:5 was the
> better translation? Also which is less diferent from the greek?

Only one way to find out...  I've had a go at this verse, using the
resources mentioned; here's the Greek + my version.  If you want to
comapare, I've left your two at the bottom of this message.

http://www.tricountyi.net/~randerse/Ex20.htm

Exodus 20,5

ou proskunhseis autois oude mh latreushs autois egw gar eimi kurios
o qeos sou qeos zhlwths apodidous amartias paterwn epi tekna ews
triths kai tetarths geneas tois misousin me

(My attempt):

ni inweit ins nih blot ins. ik auk im frauja guth theins, guth
*aljanahafts, usgibands frawaurhtins attane barnam und thridjon jah
*fidurdon aldins thaim fijandam mik.

NOTES

zhlos = aljan 'jealousy, zeal, enthusiasm'
zhloun = aljanon 'be zealous, jealous; emulate'
zeloths = Zelotes (name of a fanatical faction)

Couldn't find a native Gothic adjective from this noun, so
imporivised using the analogy of OHG ellanhaft 'zealous, brave'. (OE
ellenrof, ellenheard & ON eljunfroekn both = 'brave').  As you'll
recall, the stem-vowel -a- is usually preserved but sometimes not,
cf. akrana-laus, himina-kunds, witoda-laus, laus-handus; manag-
falths, mikil-thuhts, lausa-waurds.  So it might possibly have been
*aljanhafts.

usgiban 'repay, requite' (cf. L19,8; 1Tim 5,4; Rm 12,17).  I think
USGILDAN and FRAGILDAN would work equally well.

Regarding the cases to use with these verbs, I don't think it's
entirely clear from the extant Gothic.  I've just realised that I
made a mistake in my English-Gothic dictionary when I suggested gen.
for the thing paid (I think I got confused by I Thess 3,9: hva auk
awiliude magum usgildan [fraujin] guda bi izwis ana allai fahedai).
It should be acc. like _hva_ here. Compare: Mt. 5,27 usgibis thana
minnistan kintu.

At least we can be sure that the recipient of the repayment is
always dative.

Where English would say "for" or "in return for", Go. has UND +dat.
Ubil und ubilamma usgildai "pay back evil for evil" (=kakon anti
kakou), in other words "pay evil [back to someone] in return for the
evil [that person has done]"; augo und augin, jah tunthu und
tunthau "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth".  But also
_ana_ = Gk. epi, I Thess 3,9 -- see above.

The above examples translate Gk. prepositions.  I haven't been able
to find a clear example of "repaying a wrong" where Greek uses no
prepositions, unless maybe II Thess 1,6: usgildan þaim gaþreihandam
izwis aggwiþa.  I'm not sure if AGGWITHA is the crime or the
punishment; I guess both is implied.

Hmmmm, I'm going to have to look into this a bit more closely when I
have time.

> The word gagrefts. Isn't that fem. i-stem? And maybe I lack in my
> knowledge there, but I thought it was -ais in plural. Got to check
> this soon, when I'll be back home :)

Yeah, fem. i-stem (you were thinking of the genitive singular)--

N -s      -eis
A         -ins
G -ais    -e
D -ai     -im

> house of bondage: is this the way the wordorder is in greek to?
And
> is this the way to say it in gothic? When I earlier asked about
> compound words I thought about the english way to use genitive
just
> as this sample. And I thought it would be more common to use a
> compound form in gothic, so instead of house of bondage it would
be
> like a bondagehouse.

Your compound seems perfectly good Gothic to me.  The Bible was
translated very literally, but I'm sure compounds like this were
made up all the time, especially in poetry.  There may even be
examples in the Bible of Gr. gen. = Go. compound--I'm not sure.  I
know there are some instances of a single Greek noun being
translated with a genitive construction, e.g. georgos = airthis
waurstwja 'farmer'.

Likewise, most of your translation works okay, I reckon, and most of
the time is probably at least as good Gothic as a direct translation
from the Greek.  I guesss doing it the hard way helps us to learn
more precisely what range of meaning particular words have.  It also
supplies extra clues about what words are best in each context, but
it can also be instructive translating from any language into Gothic.

Skalt thu blotan...  Both your versions of this first sentence seem
good.
GUTH rather than *GUTHS, I mentioned.
IST should be IM here.
MIS should be MIK.
GAWEISON 'visit' -- English has this idiom.  Is it in Swedish too?
Probably safer to be more literal here.  (But you're right this verb
does take genitive.)  Your other version "laying/placing the blame
on" might work.
BI INWINDITHOM ATTANE 'in accordance with the wickedness of the
fathers' seems good Gothic to me.
*IUTHOM. Koebler has iutha-, ?strong masc. (i.e. iuths), implied by
the Personal Name iutharic. But Gmc. euthuz -- I don't know why
though.  ON jóð 'child' is neuter.

Incidentally Go. blotan (like ON blóta) takes acc. for the god
worshipped, and dat. for the means of worship.  So to worship with
prayers: bidom blotan.  I think Norse uses dat. for whatever is
sacrificed to the god.

> About 'laitham'. This was a word I just used temporary because I
> didn't know the real word. And yes, I was thinking of swedish led,
> whidch is the word used in the swedish bible.

You can't imagine how smug that makes me feel to have guessed that...

Good luck with future translations!

Llama Nom