[gothic-l] Re: Hansa

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Nov 22 13:16:29 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at g...> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2004, at 1:50 PM, WILHELM OTTO wrote:
>

> >  Hi Dirk
> >  Dirk wrote:
> >  That is not quite correct I am afraid. As pointed out earlier,
the
> >  word is used in the Gothic bible and it is also mentioned as
> >  components in German words like Hansagraf, which was a public
office
> >  in the South Gemran town of Regensburg mentioned in the 12th
century.

> >  Thanks a lot. You are probably right and I am accepting your
view.
> > But,
> >  being a bit stubborn, are there not a few hundred unaccounted
years?
> > St.
> >  Hanse/Hans guilds in Denmark/Gothland/Visby
>
> Please don't include Gotland, The word Hanse does not appear in the
> middel Baltic until after 1356
>
> Tore

Hi Tore,

I don't want to repeat an old discussion, but I think it is important
to note that German merchants visited Gotland since 1161, when
the 'Union of German merchants visiting Gotland' was founded. The
German word for 'union' is Hanse/Hansa and this Union of merchants
would certainly have been called Hansa by its members. Thus,
documents in Bardowik, Lueneburg and further to the west Lemgo call
the Union of German merchants in Gotland' 'chense/henze', i.e. Hanse
already in the 13th century. The town of Lemgo sought representation
by a chenzeman (Hansa man) in 1295 for its trade in Norrbys
Gotland.   In 1191/92 the German merchants union set up a contor in
Nowgorod and this early Hansa is usually called the merchants' Hansa,
as opposed to the cities Hansa which was founded in 1356/58 and
called 'stede van der dudeschen hense', i.e. 'towns of the German
Hansa'.

http://www.dsm.de/Pubs/20_18.htm

The Luebeck merchants guilt financed the founding of many Baltic
cities like Riga (1201) and Reval. It had set up its own contor in
Nowgorod in 1191/92 and founded the Peterhof there in the first
decades of the 13th century. When the merchants Hansa was transformed
into a cities' Hansa in 1356/58 the assets of the merchants Hansa
formed the basis for the new union (hansa) of cities.

Again, I know Tore does not agree and he argues that the German word
Hansa was used for German merchants in the Baltic sea only since 1358
and was thus limited only for German merchants operating in the North
Sea, London, Paris, Flanders etc..

Cheers

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM