[gothic-l] Re: A genitive query?

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Nov 27 11:25:52 UTC 2004

Hi Robyn,

No mistake: this is a very commmon idiom.  When the preposition IN
is followed by the genitive, it means "because of", "on account of"
(see Wright's Grammar of the Gothic Language para. 350.4).  Hence IN
ÞIZ-EI "because"; IN-UH ÞIS "now, because of this..."

J 14,11: "Believe me, that I [am] in the father and the father in
me, or if not (i.e. if you still don't believe when I tell you),
then believe me because of the works (miracles)".

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM