[gothic-l] Re: About diminutive

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 1 06:36:43 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> Am I right about that the gender is the same in diminutive as the
> original word?
> Like 'barn' that is neuter becomes barnilo, and 'mawi' that is fem.
> becomes mawilo.
>
> Is diminutive always weak? (n-stems)
>
> If the word is feminine, how do I know if the díminutive becomes on-

> or in-stem?
>
> And at last, the vowel infront of the l, how to know which one it
> should be? Is it the same rule as in compounded words?
>

> Ps. Does some one know what the name of the opposite to diminutive
is?

Indeed, the gender in diminutive is the same as in the original word.
Thus, in nominative singular a masculine will end in -ila/-ula, and a
feminine and neuter in -ilo/-ulo (weak declension).
The vowel in front of l is usually i, but, as Llama Nom has pointed
out, the u-stems have an u before the l.
The opposite to diminutive is the "augmentative".

Framncisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM