[gothic-l] Re: How do I pronounce my name?

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Thu Oct 7 11:10:34 UTC 2004

Hi there Alaric,

As Francisc says, *Alareiks would be the usual reconstruction,
pronounced [alari:ks], that is with two short A's and the last vowel
long, to rhyme with Modern English "reeks"!  Sorry...  (Still, it
nicely balences any delusions of grandeur caused by the real meaning.)

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:

> Hi, Alaric,
>
> Indeed, your name would translate in English as "all-ruler".
> Jordanes (the 6th century Visigothic chronicler) spells Alaricus or
> Halaricus, in other sources the name appears as Alarich.
> In classical Gothic (I mean the language of the Gothic Bible of the
> 4th century) it would be *Ala-reiks, being derived from ala "all"
and
> reiks "ruler".
>
> Francisc
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "chitsujo" <chitsujo at y...> wrote:
> >
> > My name is Alaric.  I was named after the Visigoth king from
around
> > 410AD, after my mom saw it in a list of names.  I am told that it
> > translates to english as "ruler over all" or "all-ruler".  I am
> > wondering if this is true, and also how my name would be said in
> > proper Gothic.  I have been pronouncing it "Ah-la-rick" and it
just
> > struck me how odd it would be if it were meant to be something
very
> > different.
> > If anyone knows the answers to these questions, or any
interesting

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM