[gothic-l] Dis-, Du

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 16 03:38:48 UTC 2004

The dis- and du(-) problem does seem interesting. Of course
these can't signify a phonological rule in Gothic, since we have
tuz-, the cognate of OHG zer- in tuzwerjan, tuzwers. Dis- may
have been borrowed from Latin with meanings including those
of Gk. dia-.

I've read theories about how and why /to:/ > /du/ in Gothic but
can't really believe them. Also, what about the connections that
have been made between til- "goal" and NGmc til "to, unto,
until"? Very shady stuff.

As for Gothic or EGmc. borrowing one slavonic preposition, also
a stretch of the imagination! Unless Goths were picking words,
like some would have us believe, in respect to Finnish ja "and"!

cheers,
Matthew

> > Dis- was borrowed it seems from Latin. No cognates in
Gmc.
> languages. It usually translates Gk. dia-, and Koebler puts it
with
> MHG zer-, auseinander-, ver-. You think the sense here is
more

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM