[gothic-l] Romans 1-3 Reconstruction (*bruk-)

llama_nom 600cell at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Oct 19 16:06:42 UTC 2004

Hails Maththaiu!

In OE at least, bryce is a masc. ja-stem:

BRYCE, brice, es; m. [brycst, brfcst, pres. of brucan to usi, enjoy]
Use, service, the occupation or exercise of a thing, profit,
advantage, fruit; usus, rninisteriurn, conirnodurn :-- Gif ðæt ówiht
brýce wzs if thai was any use; si hoc aliquid prodesset, Bd. 5, 14;
S. 634, 8, note. Láfe on hwylc hugu fatu gehiwade wæ-acute;ron
mennisces bryces recisuræ in vasa quælibet humani usus formarentur,
3, 22; S. 552, 14. Brice oððe gewuna asus, Ælfc. Gr. n; Som. 15, 16.
Ealle werþeóde lifgaþ bí ðám lissum, ðe éce Dryhten gesette sínum
bearnum to brice all tribes of men live by the blessings, which the
eternal Lord bestowed on 'his children for their use, Exon. 54 b; Th.
193, 3; Az. 116. We sceoldon ða hwílend-lícan þing to úrum brícum
habban we should have transitory things for ' K

(Bosworth & Toller)

Aha, the advantage of doing corrections on these pages is that I can
now decypher some of the garbling!

So yes, this does have has the right range of meanings, and suggests
Go. *brukeis.  Except that NHG brauch & Nor. bruk (from Low German,
or native?) have no mutation.  I wonder how early the word is
recorded on the continent.  But then palatal mutation isn't as
thorough in some German dialects: cf. bruecke v. Innsbruck.
Alternatively I wonder if the OE word could have changed declension
with the loss of -z, and perhaps correspond to a Go. *brukei??  Or,
as you suggest, fi *bruks.  Maybe a comparison with other cognates
will help.  Something to think about...

The adjective, by the way, is definitely an i-stem, rather than ja-,
cf. Corinthians I 10:33 [A] þatei mis bruk sijai; Sk 4,3 so bi ina
garehsns du leitilamma mela raihtis bruks was.  (Koebler's dictionary
sometimes implies doubt in cases like this were there is none, e.g.
skeirs, also i-stem, cf. Sk 4,4).

Llama Nom

(P.S. Nu skal ik mik silban garaihtjan. Than "ufarmunodes" gamelida,
thanuh skuldedjau twaddje N-e gabrukjan, swa: "ufarmunnodes".)

> As you see, i thought the problem lay in the fact that
Gk. 'crhsin',

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM