[gothic-l] Re: Romans 1-3 Reconstruction

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 24 00:19:41 UTC 2004

3:

10. swe gamelifl ist "nist saei garaihts ist, nih ainshun.
11. nist saei frafljai aiflflau sokjai Gufl,
12. allai uswandidedun, samana unbrukjai waurflun, nist saei
taujifl selein, nist und ainana."

(orig: 10. swe gamelifl ist "nist garaihts, nih ainshun.
11. nist frathjands, nist sokjands Gufl,
12. allai uswandidedun, samana unbrukjai waurflun, nist
taujands selein, nist und ainana.")

correction made to my own work, after accidentally coming
across a reference to this or the old testament source in
Skeireins I (at the beginning!): '".....saei frathjai aiththau sokjai
guth. allai uswandidedun, samana unbrukjai waurthun",...'
(Streitberg, 2. auflage, p. 456). Apparently if I understand
Streitberg right, he says the gothic version is from the LXX
(septuagint) rather than the Greek / Latin versions which
separate the phrase (i.e. as I had before: "nist frathjands, nist
sokjands Guth"). Surprisingly the part of  verse 12 which is
quoted in Skereins required no correction. I may feel good about
that :) Also, I extended the construction "saei ...ith" to the other
participial verbs in this section and take note for future reference
of the Gothic preference in this case. The last phrase "nist und
ainana" is still weak in my feeling of it. Can't guess the Gothic
idiom, but perhaps it would contain the negative part. -hun?

I remember David Salo once wrote that a good and perhaps
sobering exercise would be to translate into Gothic some part of
the text for which there is already Gothic, and then compare your
work. Not a bad idea.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM