[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Ciivlization

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Oct 30 10:34:11 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at A...> wrote:

>  Sometime ago I posted a question on if a Gothic Civilization every
existed.
> One person answered no. But if there were ever Gothic Literature,
> Architecture, Pottery, laws, all which point to a civilization there
should
> be a civilization. Should there not.  Anyone who has a common language,
> national origin, art, institutions such as laws, religion, etc...
Constitute
> a civilization.  So did the Goths have a civilization so to speak. What
> esthetic designs appeared on Gothic Pottery?
> Le

Hi Le,

Of course there was Gothic civilisation everywhere the Goths had a
community. The Vesigothic society in Gutþiuða had quite a complex
structure but also the earlier tribes originally had a society and
civilisation however primitive. Specially so in a more modern sense in
the later Gothic kingdoms. There are of course people claiming those
kingdoms were a Roman civilisation but that is to make things too
simple.About pottery, dressing, jewellery and other artifacts I
specially  reccomend Matthews and Heather who made a short book on
early Gothic archaeology but I can not recall the title just now.

If you wait some month however my own book "The Well Spring of the
Goths" will be launched in English by a US publisher. It is in the
printing process just now.

Best
Ingemar

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM