[gothic-l] Re: International

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 3 19:53:36 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <penterakt at f...> wrote:

> Hails Llama Nom!

Would you mind if I add your versions to a website I have?
I've already done it, but if you do mind I'll delete them as fast a I
can.
You may see them at
www.geocities.com/worldmarxism/intairnatsjonalo/index.html

> Probably the most common and productive methods for making abstract
> nouns from adjectives in Gothic are the feminine suffixes -ei and -
> itha.  Examples of abstract neuter on-stems from adjectives are:
> THATA GODO 'good, goodness', and THATA UBILO 'evil', which also
> appears as a strong a-stem THATA UBIL.  I think I suggested THATA
> INTAIRNATSJONALO though because it's a concrete noun: the
> International [thing/song].  Cf. thata andwairtho 'the present
> [moment]'; thata anawairtho 'the future'; thata managizo þaim 'that
> which is more than these'; thata samo 'the same [thing]', etc...
> Where there is no noun stated neuter is the obvious choice, so
where
> English might say "the red one", Gothic would say "thata raudo"
(made
> up example), like German: "das Rote", Swedish: det röda (Is that
> right?).

Yes...that is right.

> I rejected that line anyway because "chains of the world" is a bit
> ambiguous (more like The Gnostic International!), and the original
> sense is of getting rid of tradition and the tyranny of the past,
> rather than the world in general.

OK, but I thought that it was quite good anyway...but maybe it is a
litte "gnostic".

> Good thinking.  You're probably right about GODANA DAG, a version
of
> which is actually attested in Crimean Gothic: knauen tag.  How
> accurately this represents the pronunciation is unclear, but it
> certainly suggests an accusative as in modern German.

'Godana dag' is strong inflection. Why not the weak instead?

>  Maybe the full
> unstated wish would be: habais godana dag 'may you have a good
day',
> with the subjunctive (which happens to have to same form as the
> indicative with HABAN).

I guess that's a bit of the answer of my previous question. But if
you use the word 'ains', like habais ainana godan dag, would that be
better? Maybe the usage of ains isn't that common.

Did they use haban + infinitive to make future tense?
I wondered that in your version of internationale.
"...habam wairthan all".
Can I not use skulan to make future tense? or is that more like 'must
do' / 'have to do', instead of 'will do' / 'are going to do'.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM