[gothic-l] Re: Gothic & Greek B in Slabonic + izba

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Thu Sep 9 06:13:41 UTC 2004

this question is for llama nom. was attila a goth or as known the hun.wasnt it true the huns spoke goth as well.how was their racial makeup made up of and who presently can be said to be descendants of the huns.this question is out of the blue but i watch alot of programs on cable tv about the attila and the huns.also his name wasnt it given to him by the goths.

åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at ipiran.ru> wrote:*****

Hi Llama nom!

Let's leave the "Romance influence" regarding
the initial on Wade's conscience.
Any "sporadic phenomenon" needs an acceptable
explanation as well.

As to the example , it has no relation
to our topic. This word has in Russian a Turkic origin
(cf. Izmiretc.). The elder form for 'emerald' in OR borrowed
from Persian was .

Now about the "hard sign". Yes, the "hard sign"
reflected a weak hard unstressed vowel in Church
Slavonic or Old Bulgarian (in modern Bulgarian
this letter may be stressed), which should be omitted
in Russian during the so called "fall of reduced vowels"
in XII c. Thus, the question is where was the accent
in and especially . (Note that
the accent in the Russian is upon the last
syllable in all cases of the singular, but it shifts
to the first syllable in the plural.)

I do not know prehistory of the word , but
the sound did not exist in OR. It appeared
in place of either the former diphthong or
just the nasal .

The Russian was borrowed from German
with a meaning very close to the English 'stool'
(including the medical notion, but rather 'chair',
i.e. a seat with a back). Moreover, another borrowing
from Norse might be suspected for the word ,
which has in modern Russian the meaning 'table',
but in OR had the sense 'throne'. The earliest
written attestation is an inscription
i.e. "Vladimir on the throne"
on first coins ( and ) minted
in Kiev in XI c. You can find an impressive description
of the throne of Russian kagans (highest rank rulers
of Kiev Rus') in Ibn Fadlan's Travel Notes
"Travel to Volga" of 922 A.D. Kagans' resembles
there a huge King Arthur's Round table, with the kagan
sitting upon (!) the Table-throne and never leaving it
even to serve his physical needs (sorry for such
not very lofty details).

Vladimir