[gothic-l] Re: Goths of North Africa

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 9 12:51:56 UTC 2004

Hi, Dirk and Llama Nom

In the Gothic-l message no. 1389 of December 18, 1999, Ryszard
Derdzinski ("Reikahardus") wrote:

"...we have only one or two attested Vandalic sentences coming from
North Africa.
They should be known to all the East Germanic linguists. I met them
in J. Strzelczyk's "Wandalowie i ich afrykanskie panstwo" (in
Polish). The first sentence can be treated as Vandalic without doubt -
 in Florentinus' poem we read: _Frója armés!_ translated in Latin
as 'Domine miserere' - it was called from the Arian altars in North
Africa.
The second sentence is usualy treated as Gothic text (and should find
interest in the list), but can be Vandalic as well. It comes from a
North African poem entitled "De conviviis barbaris". We read there:
_Inter eils goticum skapjamatzjajadrincan_ / Non audet quisquam
dignos edicere versus_. The Gothic (or Vandalic) sentence is here:
_Eils! Scapjam matzja(n) ja drincan_.
In pure Gothic it could be: _Heils! Scapjam matjan jah drigkan_..."

In fact, in classical (Wulfilan) Gothic these sentences would be:
'Frauja armeis'
and respectively:
'Hails! Skapjam matjan jah drigkan'
These sentences could be Gothic, not Vandalic (even the first one
could be a Gothic formula used by the Arian Vandalic priests, taking
into consideration that for the Germanic Arians, Gothic played the
same role as Latin for Catholics or Arabic for Moslems). If they are
Vandalic, than we have to consider that Vandalic was very close to
Gothic (or that it was just a Gothic dialect). They differ from
classical Gothic in the following respects:
assimilation of diphtongs: ai > ei, au > o
the opening  ei > e
the palatalization tj > tzj
But these tendencies of evolution are observed also in post-Wulfilan
Gothic, so they can not be considered as characteristic for Vandalic.

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM