[gothic-l] Barbarians and Gladiatorial Combat

Mikael Bynke adragoor at PASSAGEN.SE
Tue Sep 21 11:39:07 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,
I'm going to write an essay on non Roman attitudes towards gladiatorial
combat during late antiquity, and I'm wondering if anyone knows about any
sources containing information about how the Goths (or indeed other germanic
tribes) viewed these spectacles. Didn't Theoderic try to revive the practice?
Otherwise I've always had the feeling that non Romans in general and especially
"barbarians" were quite sceptical towards the phenomenon. Am I right about
this? Does anyone have any further opinions?

Mikael Bynke

Skicka gratis SMS!
http://www.passagen.se

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM