[gothic-l] Re: Barbarians and Gladiatorial Combat

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Sep 22 09:52:04 UTC 2004

Hi Mikael,

How did barbarians see the gladitorial combal?  As paradise,
according to one scholar!  Have you heard of M Olsen's theory that
Valhall was a memory of colloseum?  As described in Grimnismal and
Snorri's Gylfaginning, Valhall has 540 doors, and houses warriors who
spend every day fighting each other.  Rudolf Simek, in his Dictionary
of Northern Mythology (original: Lexikon der germanischen Mythologie)
suggests that even if the orignal heathen idea of Valhall was not
based on the Roman games, later knowledge of the colloseum could have
influenced the literary description.  He also mentions - although I
don't know the reason - that the number of the einherjar (Odin's
warriors) might show Hellenic influence: 800 x 540 = 432 000.  But
this doesn't work if Grimnismal intended the Germanic 'long hundred'
(=120).

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM