[gothic-l] Re: Some questions

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Sep 22 11:09:01 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> I have just a few questions i hope you guys may be able to answer.
>
> First of all about compounded words i haven't got it cleared about
o-
> stems. Does it get an o instead of a in those words?
> So if i'd like to write something like this:
> thiudo-wilja and gibo-gilstr, are these right or should it be smth
> like
> thiuda-wilja and giba-gilstr.

O-stems have <a> as the connecting vowel, so it would be: *thiuda-
wilja and *giba-gilstr.

> About verbs with a preposition in beginning, such as at-augjan.
> Are they always in this way or are they breakable?
> Ex. ik at-augja thuk or ik augja at thuk.

Interesting question.  It's compicated by the fact that the Gothic
word order usually sticks very close to the Greek original.  Also,
bear in mind that there were no spaces between words.  Here are a few
things I've noticed though:

Most verbs don't automatically separate in the way that modern German
verbs do, so I would go with: IK AT-AUGJA MIK THUS 'I appear to
you' / 'I show myself to you'.

But there are verbs that do have alternate forms: LAISTIDEDUN AFAR
IMMA 'they followed after him', LAISTIDEDUN INA 'the followed him',
THAI AFAR-LAISTJANDANS 'those following' - the prefixed version is
mostly not finite.  The only example I can find is 1Tim 5,10: allamma
waurstwe godaize afarlaistidedi 'followed ever good work' - though
this is a more metaphorical meaning.

As you can see, laistjan afar & afarlaistjan do behave rather like a
modern German verb, but I think they are the exception.  I don't
think there are any examples of LAISTJAN AFAR without an object, so
the AFAR here is a preposition rather than a seperable particle.
More often the prefix stays as a prefix.  Occasionally the prefix is
repeated after the verb: FAURA-GAGGIS AUK FAURA ANDWAIRTHJA
FRAUJINS 'you will go on ahead of the presence/person of the Lord'.

Sometimes a further adverb is added after the verb, e.g. L 19,4:
biþragjands faur 'running on ahead'.  When an adverb comes directly
before a verb, it is not always certain whether it should be regarded
as a seperable adverb, or a prefix, cf. 1Tim 1,18: faura
faursniwandam.  In such cases, it just depends on what the normal
usage is, whether the verb normally comes with a particular prefix
attached.  For example, some books print: MITH-MATJAN, others MITH
MATJAN.

þai miþ-us-hramidans imma 'those crucified with him'

It is also possible that some verbs have been created by the
translator on the model of the Greek verb, as calques.

On the other hand, there is a feature of Gothic syntax that doesn't
reflect the Greek, where prefixes are separated from verbs, although
not placed after them.  A number of infixes can be placed between the
prefix and the verb.  The question particle -U- is perhaps the most
common.

frah ina ga-u-hva-sehvi 'he asked him if he saw anything?'

diz-uh-than-sat ijos reiro jah usfilmei 'for trembling and amazement
seized them' (they were shaking and frightened)

þauh ga-ba-dauþniþ, libaid 'even if he dies, he will live'

jabai allis Mose galaubidedeiþ, ga-þau-laubidedeiþ mis 'because if
you'd believed Moses, you would have believed me'

miþ-ni-qam siponjam seinaim Iesus in þata skip 'his disciples didn't
come with Jesus into the ship' (the Greek here doesn't insert the
negative in the verb like this)

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM