[gothic-l] Re: Hairus in diminutive

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Sep 27 11:53:15 UTC 2004

Thanks Llama!

This leads me to following questions:

How do we expect the word to be pronounced, and how is the change
between singularis/pluralis?

Is it possible, that a people or a warrior known for their/his small
sword got the name "Hairula" by the Goths and that this name heard by
a Roman or a Greek could be misunderstood as Heruli/'eruli in
pluralis?

Is it alternatively a possibility that the ending "-ila" represents
the same as the diminutive "-unge/-inga" in North Scandinavian
languages - used a.e. on the Danish dynasty "Skjoldunger"
("Scyldinga" of Beowulf) meaning the descendants of the king "Skjold"
(meaning "shield").

Troels

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM