[gothic-l] Re: Custom Question

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Apr 27 20:56:29 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Larry J. Swain" <theswain at o...>
wrote:
> So I was wondering where to look for citations, examples of
> beheadings in Norse lit and any information on the practice of
> putting a stick in the hair before execution (and by the
executioner
> or in the hair of the executed?).
>
> This would be related to the Gothic word wanduz, I think, and I'm
> wondering if there is any record of such a practice or use of the
word
> in Gothic.

Hi Larry,

The Gothic word 'wandus' is only attested once, as dative
plural 'wandum', in the bible, Corinthians II 11:25, where St Paul
boasts of being beaten with sticks.  The only substancial fragments
that survive of the Gothic language belong to the bible, or to a
biblical commentary also based on a Greek original.  So for
information on Gothic practices you would have to look elsewhere, to
Latin and Greek writings for instance.  The Passion of Saint Saba, a
Gothic Christian martyr, might have something.  But I think he was
executed by drowning, and couldn't be killed with "weapons" due to
having committed his blasphemies during the holiday season, when
weapons were forbidden.  But I've only seen extracts of this, so
maybe someone else knows more.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM