[gothic-l] Gothic, Yiddish and High German

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Fri Apr 29 10:24:50 UTC 2005

***********************

Hi Tore!

I have to grieve you. You contradict to yourself.
It is commonly accepted that only a restricted circle
of high ranked Khazarian rulers (the kagan, beks etc.)
really adopted Judaism. The new religion did not spread
among Khazarian population. This fact is known
from narrative sources and well confirmed by archaeology.
Hence, your "ruling class" that "were Turks" had to speak
a Turkish language, not Gothic. Since that Turkish language
was not written one, the Khazars used Hebrew
(like Latin in Medieval Europe) for their documents
and correspondence, not Yiddish. Further, where is
the area, which "was previously Gothic"? Where did
the local population speak Gothic in 8th century?
Perhaps in Crimea, not on the banks of Don-river.
By the way, your reference to Zolotye Gorki is absolutely
irrelevant as the site represents the Saltovo-Mayatsk culture
with no connection to the Goths and Chernyakhovsk culture.
Nevertheless the problem remains. Origination of modern Jews,
of at least Eastern Europe, from Khazaria is a very promising
hypothesis, but there are some reefs on a direct way
you tried to run recklessly.

Best wishes,
Vladimir