Reconstructions of contemporary Gothic words

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Sun Aug 14 12:50:22 UTC 2005

Is there any evidence for a Gothic cognate to the Anglo-saxon wordthat's a
root of modern "Welsh"?
Continental Germanic dialects as well as A-S use variants on this to
describe the inhabitants of the Roman Empire (my memory says that there
are attestations for "Welshland" as a name for the mpire). Thus, Wales,
Wallachia, Vlachs, as well as many local placenames.

Tom