Nine daughters of Aegir

WILHELM OTTO wilhelm.otto at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Aug 16 10:23:11 UTC 2005

Nine daughters of Aegir.
I am trying to make some notes on Aegir, an old Vanir god on the way out to
become a giant. It is my idea that he was a Frey like god for the people on
the outer skerries, living fishing and hunting. They were hard pressed by
the farming people on the mainland. So Aegirs power base eroded and he
became more of a Giant. Well, this not the problem of this mail, but the
names of his nine daughters.

These are said to be Himingläva, Dufa, Bloughadda, Hefring, Unn, Rönn,
Bylgja, Båra and Kolga according to my edition of the Edda. Researchers say
that the daughters are waves of the sea and this is repeated ad infinitum
when they copy each other. I myself think that these daughters well could be
fishes. Kolga looks alike kolja, which is wonderful in fish pate. Hefring
seems to be an old form of Herring in both German and Anglo-Saxon. Unnr
means wave in Iceland, but .. Blaughadda sounds like a sort of "gädda" which
is a sweetwater fish, but with a great reputation. And so on!

Is there anyone on the list, which is familiar with the old words and can
help me to disprove in the spirit of sir Karl Popper?
Wilhelm