a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Mon Aug 29 04:54:58 UTC 2005

On 28.08.2005, at 06:25, Le Bateman wrote:

> Isn't that form guð instead of guþ? Grimm seemed to think it was.
> He said
> the Goths dereived their name from guð. Which is the word for God.
> Le

There is no ð in Gothic. At least, there is no special sign for it.
The question of _grammatischer Wechsel_ (Verner's Law) is somewhat
disputed. At any rate, Gothic shows the (most probably) voiceless
interdental spirant þ. Grimm would refer to the Proto-Germanic form.

David

P.S. Could you give the reference, please ? That is, which of the
Brüder Grimm and where it is said, so I can check it ? Thanks !

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM