The Gothic Language of the Codex Argentus

aldhissla joakim_Tho at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 29 16:38:17 UTC 2005

Hi, it is said the Codex Argentus (or the Silver Bible) was based on
Wulfila's translation from the Greek Bible. However, Wulfila
translated
it into Gothic in the 4th century. In the 6th century the Codex
Argentus was written.

That makes we wonder, does the language of Wulfila differ much from
the
language used by the Goths in the 6th century? Are there any texts
reflecting the language of a 6th century Goth left? I can believe the
vocabulary must have been coloured by Vulgar Latin, and perhaps a
decline of grammatical inflections, also I read something about a
posssible loss of diphtongs.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM