a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

Jacob L. Bateman III LeBateman at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 31 06:35:55 UTC 2005

   Der Bruder Grimm war Jakob;  Die Titel auf Das Buch  war Die Teutonisch
Mythologie. Ich weiss nicht  Was das veil oder kapitel war.   Gott Im
 Himmell! Die Titel auf Das Kapitel war Gott. Kapitel Ein Ich Glaube.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kiltz" <derdron at gmx.net>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Re: a Gothic poem (verse 3)--syntax, word usage

On 28.08.2005, at 06:25, Le Bateman wrote:

> Isn't that form guð instead of guþ? Grimm seemed to think it was.
> He said
> the Goths dereived their name from guð. Which is the word for God.
> Le

There is no ð in Gothic. At least, there is no special sign for it.
The question of _grammatischer Wechsel_ (Verner's Law) is somewhat
disputed. At any rate, Gothic shows the (most probably) voiceless
interdental spirant þ. Grimm would refer to the Proto-Germanic form.

David

P.S. Could you give the reference, please ? That is, which of the
Brüder Grimm and where it is said, so I can check it ? Thanks !

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM