constructive critique would be appreciated:

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Dec 17 09:04:32 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, mike r <raging_viking at y...> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Just making sure that the following is correct:
>

> Sa wulfs dreibith ja sa fiskos mitans thans gaitans.
>
> The wolf drives and the fishes measure the goats.

Sa wulfs dreibith jah thai fiskos mitand thos gaitins.
That wolf drives and those fishes measure those goats.

'thai' is the plural form corresponding to 'sa'.

SINGULAR
                 Masculine         Feminine

NOMINATIVE        sa                so
ACCUSATIVE        thana             tho

PLURAL
                 Masculine         Feminine

NOMINATIVE       thai              thos
ACCUSATIVE       thans             thos

'gaits', feminine i-stem.  Nouns fall into different categories
called declensions, commonly named after the Germanic stem vowel or
consonant.  I think David Salo's course lists these different
patterns, doesn't it?  If not, try this [
http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/nouns.htm ].  'gaits' is declined
like (takes the same endings as) some other feminine words such
as 'qens' "wife" and 'ansts' "grace".  'Fisks' and 'wulfs'
and 'thiudans' belong to a very common declension called "masculine
a-stems".

Some made-up examples with the word-order SOV (Subject, Object,
Verb).  Notice that the verb changes depending on whether the
subject (the one who is performing the action) is singular or plural.

so gaits thans fiskans itith
that goat eats those fish

thos gaiteis thans fiskans itand
those goats eat those fish

thai fiskos thos gaitins itand
those fish eat those goats

sa fisks thos gaitins itith
that fish eats those goats

sa thiudans tho gait maitith jah so gaits weihnith
that king cuts that goat and the goat becomes holy

thiudans usgeisnith
the king is aghast

> Thai fugls siggwand ja sa thiudans skabith thana
> wulfs.
>
> The birds sing and the king shaves the wolf.

Thai fuglos siggwand jah sa thiudans skabith thana wulf.
Those birds sing and the king shaves the wolf.

For the full declension of 'fugls', 'wulfs', etc., see the table
for 'dags' "day" here [
http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/nouns.htm ].  You want the
nominative plural.  The 's' at the end of many Gothic nouns in an
inflectional suffix indicating "nominative singular".  'thana wulf'
is the accusative.

> Su gaits siggwand ja thai fiskos skaband thans
> skulkos.
>
> The goat sings and the fishes shave the servents.

So gaits siggwith jah thai fuglos skaband thans skalkans.
That goat sings and those birds shave the servants.

'su' is not so strange to see: the Gothic scribes often mixed up the
letters 'o' and 'u', and also from Romand and Greek transcriptions
of Gothic names it seems that the sound /o:/ was raised and confused
with /u:/.  (The colon there is a phonetic symbol meaning that the
vowel is long.)

Llama Nom

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM