Gepanta

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 25 10:01:33 UTC 2005

More on Gepanta - Gepid:

Cleasby/Vigfusson have an entry:

"GAUFA, að, (and gauf, n., gaufari, a, in.), to saunter, be sluggish,
freq. akin to gafi, cp. Goth, gepanta in a reference by Jornandes --
iiam lingua eoruin 'pigra' gepanta dicitur, whence ' Gcpidi, ' the
name of an ancient Teut. people."

Gaufa in OIc. should have shown Go. *gaupan - gaupanda. Or? The greek
word for Gepids (Gepaides) shows a long e (eta) on the first syllable
and an acute tone or accent on the penult.

Any other explanations for the Gepids' name?

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:

> jdm31- at aol.com wrote:
> original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/gothic-l/?start=785
> >
> > Gepanta (gepantus?) is obviously later Latin.
> > Cannot find it in my Latin-Swedish dictionary.
> > Am contacting an expert in the field to see
> > what he comes up with.
>
> 	It occurs in the Getica, which is supposed to have been
published in

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM