Greetings

in_odium in_odium at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 27 12:06:12 UTC 2005

Thank you Francisc, I went to the URL that you gave me.  So far I
find it easy(I'm on lesson 2).  Does it get any harder than just
memorizing how to conjugate and inflect words?  Either way it is a
very beautiful language, even more beautiful when written in it's
own alphabet.  I don't understand why they gave it up in favor of
Latin.  I know the Roman ifluence was strong in Hispania, but still,
why did they adopt their language.  I can agree that i was time to
adopt more Roman-esquish laws as opposed to "barbaric" laws.  I know
that exchange of culture is bound to happen no matter what, but what
would force a people to give up their own language in exchange for
another when not under foreign rule?  Oh well.......  atleast
Castillian, Catalan, Galcian, Portuguese and Áranes are beautifull
languages too.........  somewhat.

Ex Odium
Eros

Post Scriptum - Is there a larger vocabulary of gothic words on that
same site?  I haven't had much time to look at it thouroghly since
I'm actaully doing all this stuff using a PSP since my computer
broke and it loads pages so damned slow, many thanks.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:

> Hi, Eros,
>
> and wellcome to the Gothic List.
> As I stated also for previous newcomers, a good starting point are
the
> Gothic lessons of David Salo. You may find them on the following
> addresses:
> http://members.terracom.net/~dorothea/david/gothic/index.html
> or:
> http://yarinareth.net/David/gothic/
>
> I wish you a Happy New Year!
>
> Francisc
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "in_odium" <in_odium at y...> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings and salutations all, my name is Eros and am interested
in
> > learning how to speak Gothic.  This is partly due to my
fascination
> of
> > the Visigoths with them been my ancestors but also becuase of
> > my "amusement" of learning "dead" languages.  I can speak a fair
> > amount of Latin all ready, I have been teaching myself the
language
> > for about two and a half years now and can understand it fairly
well.
> > I would appreciate if any of you could point me in some
direction as
> > where to start, it would be highly appreciated.  I hope to see
you
> all
> > around some time soon.
> >
> > Ex Odium
> > Eros

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM