Gothic recources online: Vocabulary

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Dec 28 13:39:33 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "in_odium" <in_odium at y...> wrote:

> Post Scriptum - Is there a larger vocabulary of gothic words on that
> same site?  I haven't had much time to look at it thouroghly since
> I'm actaully doing all this stuff using a PSP since my computer
> broke and it loads pages so damned slow, many thanks.

http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/linkspage.htm

Gergard Koebler's dictionary [
http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html ] has the vocabulary of the
small number of Gothic texts to have survived, mainly about half of
the New Testament and a few pages of a biblical commentary.  It also
includes reconstructions of words that can be assumed to have existed
on the basis of the biblical vocabulary, for example where the Gothic
bible has a noun formed by a derivative suffix, it might be reasonable
to assume the existence of an adjective, say, especially if this is
parellelled in other early Germanic languages.  He also includes
reconstructions based on Gothic loanwords recorded in Latin, the
Romance languages of southern Europe, Slavonic, etc.  Entries are
cited in various spelling conventions, mainly that of biblical Gothic,
but you'll also find phonemic spellings for some reconstructions.
Crimean Gothic words and the letter names of the Vienna-Salzburg codex
appear in their recorded forms as well as as reconstructions with
biblical Gothic spelling.  Definitions in German and English, cited
together with the equivalent word in the Greek Septuagint and the
Latin Vulgate bible.

For Latin readers there is a really great resource here, Patrologia
Latina, Vol. 18: Ulfilas (a translation from the German original of
Gabelentz & Loebe).  Texts + commentary & grammar, in Latin + Latin-
Gothic and Greek-Gothic dictionaries [
http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Patrologia_Latina_Vol_18_Ulfilas ].
This is especially useful for its discussion of syntax and word-order.

The best Gothic dictionary online for understanding the grammar of the
bible and the Skeireins (that biblical commentary) is Wilhelm
Streitberg's Gotisch-Greichisch-Deutsches Wörterbuch [
http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/ ].  This is a good place to
look for information on, for example, which case or cases each verb
and preposition takes, and with what change in meaning, if any.  I've
found it to be more reliable than other dictionaries on a number of
occasions.  Also recommended, if you read German at all, is
Streitberg's Gotische Syntax, available from Winter Verlag.  This has
a good explanation of "aspect" or "aktionsart", i.e. perfective and
imperfective (durative) verbs -- an important part of Gothic syntax
neglected by many simpler grammars.

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM