[gothic-l] Re: A few questions

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Feb 4 18:22:54 UTC 2005

Hi Seth,

For "Thor", I think *Þunrs, might be more likely.

I agree with Fredrik's "Wiljau kukja þus", except that "kiss" should
be infinitive "kukjan".  I'm not sure about the word order.
Maybe "þus kukjan wiljau" would be less emphatic?  But then again
maybe you want to be emphatic...  There are some clues that where
the object of the sentence is a noun, it would tend to preceed the
verb (in natural non-Greek-influenced Gothic)--but pronouns seem as
if they might follow other rules, so I'm just not sure yet.  I'd be
interested to know if anyone has any more ideas about that.

> > well. Lastly, and somewhat off-topic, how do you people feel
about
> > modern folk who walk around and call themselves "Goths"? I would
> like
> > many people to try and answer my questions.

In a word: live & let live.

Llama Nom

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
> rterbuch/NE-GOT.pdf
>
> And there it says his name is Þunara.
>
> This is how I guess 'I would like to kiss you' is said in gothic:
> Wiljau kukja þus.
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Seth Estlow"
<hammerwolf777 at h...>
> wrote:
> >

> > Give me you best attempts at answering these questions. First of
> all,
> > what is the Gothic version of "Thor" again? I know the best
answer
> > you can give me is just a reconstruction, but I'd still like to
> know.
> > I would like to know the names of all the major gods in Gothic.
> > Secondly, can anyone tell me how to say "I would like to kiss
you"
> in
> > Gothic? I would like you to tell me how to pronounce the words
as
> > well. Lastly, and somewhat off-topic, how do you people feel
about
> > modern folk who walk around and call themselves "Goths"? I would
> like
> > many people to try and answer my questions.
> > Thank you,
> > Seth

Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The Lincoln Fry Blog.
Read all about the French fry that looks like Abraham Lincoln.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM