[gothic-l] Re: some questions... (galukan, uslukan)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 15 20:55:46 UTC 2005

Hails Fredrik,

Yes, unfortunately we're missing Mat 16,19 and Luke 11,52.  There
would have been a few keys in Revelations too.  Who knows, maybe
more Gothic manuscripts will come to light one day.  In the
meantime, I think your idea is the most likely guess.
Icelandic 'lykill' suggests a Gothic *lukils, masculine a-stem.

Attested is the presumed neuter noun USLUK "hole, opening".  Koebler
has it with a short vowel, like German 'Loch'.  And the following
verbs, of which uslukan & galukan have a long vowel in the
infinitive (strong class 2), and usluknan & galuknan have a short
root vowel:

uslukan +acc. "open something" +dat. "for someone"

also +acc. "draw" a sword

absolute sense "to open up, open the door/gate" +dat. "for s-one"
þammuh daurawards uslukiþ "for him the watchman opens up"

galukan +acc. in +dat. "lock/shut someone in a place or state"
galauk Iohannen in karkarai "he locked John in prison"

+dat. or +acc. for doors
galukands haurdai þeinai "shutting your door"
ei guþ uslukai unsis haurd waurdis "so that God may open a door of
speech for us"

usluknan "be unlocked/opened"

galuknan "be closed, be locked"

Old English links:

Old English Made Easy (including two-way OE-MnE, MnE-OE dictionary)
http://home.comcast.net/~modean52

Anglo-Saxon dictionaries of Bosworth & Toller, and of JR Clark Hall:
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/language_resources.html

Bosworth & Toller "An Anglo-Saxon Dictionary"--under construction
http://dontgohere.nu/oe/as-bt/
http://bosworthandtoller.co.uk
http://bosworthandtoller.com

Gerhard Koebler has an Old English dictionary here too:
http://www.koeblergerhard.de/publikat.html

Online book: "(The Electronic) Introduction to Old English" by Peter
S Barker
http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/research/rawl/IOE/

Hope that's of use,

Llama Nom