[gothic-l] Re: kusanata (Jordanes in Gothic)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Feb 16 16:48:20 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at s...> wrote:
> hwa ist gaskieran faur kusanata....ik funth in jordanes on the
goths....

Hi Oscar,

"chosen" ('kusanata' is the past participle of the verb 'kiusan' "to
chose" + neuter nominative/accusative ending -ata.)

optatum potita solum

Yeat: "took possession of the desired land"
http://www.harbornet.com/folks/theedrich/Goths/Goths1.htm

Mierow: "came into possession of the desired land"
http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Courses/texts/jordgeti.html

By "jordanes on the goths" I take it you're referring to a
translation into Gothic by members of this group from the original
Latin:

http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gutrazda/jordanes.html

For some reason I must have missed this, or forgotten about it.  I
probably saw it years ago, but didn't know enough about Gothic at
that time to appreciate it.  It does look quite convincing: I'm
impressed!  One criticism: I don't think the enclitic -uh can be
attached to nouns to mean "and", only to verbs and verbal prefixes.
It can attach to anything to give the senses "now" or "incidentally"-
-usually in the combination -uh þan / -uþ-þan.  Here's some notes
summarising my current (far from perfect) understanding of this
particle:

http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/uh.htm

If anyone's interested, here's my attempt at the same passage
(though I didn't get quite as far), done a couple of months ago,
with the help of all the fantastic Gothic resources now available on
the internet:

Us hulma þammei Skandjai haitada, swe us þiudo smiþjon, aiþþau swe
raihtis us kunje kilþein, swah miþ þiudana seinamma, namin haitans
Bairika, gutans usiddjedun. Sunsei ana airþai usiddjedun, þana staþ
afar seinamma namin haihaitun. Jah und hina dag, swa qiþada,
Gutiskandja haitada.

Þaþroh suns atiddjedun du Hulmarugje stadim, þaiei þan wiþra mareins
bauaidedun. Bibaurgein waurhtedun jah þans usdribun us ize
gabaurþai, Wandalans jah ubuhhnaiwidedun swaei sis biaiaikun sigisa.

Iþ þan þiuda ufarassau managnoda. Jah þiudans warþ Filumers
Gadareikis sunus, saei fimfta was afar Bairikan, sah garuni nam jah
baþ ei gutane harjis usiddjedeina miþ ize ingardam ut us þamma gawja.
Atuh þan gatilos bauainins sokjandam jah andanemjos, qemun at Skyþe
landam, þoei haitam "ana Aujom", jah faginodedun in gabeins þis
landis. Jah at harjis halba ufarliþanai, brugja dishnupnoda, þoei
ufarlaiþ, jah þanamais ni maht was galeiþan nih aftra qiman. Unte sa
staþs saiwim jah reirandam fanjam bisatiþs was iþ bisunjane
afgrundiþa. Jah und hina dag auhsne razdos gahausjan mahtos sind jah
manne bigitan laistins, in þizai ferai, jabai du farane spilla
galaubjam, sweþauh swaleik þatainei gaumiþ sijai fairraþro.

NOTES:

I think the reconstructed *Skadinaujo in the old version might be
better than my Skandja lifted from the Latin, although I suppose the
identity of the Gothic homeland is still debated of course, and
according to one theory the identification with Scandinavia may be a
learned notion not derived from genuine Gothic myth.

*Bairika I took from Thedrich Yeat's translation, as this gives a
possible meaning 'little bear'.

Skyþj- / Skwþj- is just a spelling difference.

"ana Aujom" I treated it like names where the preposition and dative
are conventionally fixed as part of the name, as sometimes happens
in OE and ON, since the Latin form seems to have taken over the
dative ending from Gothic.

There are a lot of differences, but probably most are equally valid,
e.g. qiþada, merjada.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM