[gothic-l] Re: kusanata (Jordanes in Gothic)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Feb 17 18:25:35 UTC 2005

Hi Vladimir,

That's interesting.  The nominative singular of Gothic *aujom
(dat.pl.) would be *auja (feminine jo-stem).  The actualy form in
Jordanes is Oium/Ojum.  Germanic cognates include:

OIc. ey
OFris. ey
Langobardic *auja
OE ieg (survives in MnE island, with spelling influenced by the
unrelated French isle)

Under island the Oxford English dictionary comments: "1. a. A piece
of land completely surrounded by water.  Formerly used less
definitely, including a peninsula, or a place insulated at high
water or during floods, or begirt by marshes, a usage which survives
in particular instances..." (e.g. certain place names.)

(And related, German Au(e) < OHG ouwa.)

I'm completely ignorant of the history of Finnish, so I don't know
if changes in Finnish alone can account for the form given, but in
Germanic this word would be *aujo > Proto Norse *auju.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "?????? ????????" <vegorov at i...>

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM