[gothic-l] *awi, *auja (was: kusanata)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Feb 25 00:01:58 UTC 2005

Hails Manie,

First, a correction to something I wrote: The word meaning "water
meadow, land liable to flooding, island, etc.", jo-stem, feminine,
would actually give Gothic *AWI in the nominative singular, declined
like 'mawi' (acc.sg. *auja, etc.).

I think the word meaning "luck" is cited in the form AUJA by Koebler
because one of the early Scandinavian runic inscriptions which
contains it has been considered East Germanic.  But the grounds for
such attributions I gather is often quite tenuous.

The regular Gothic form corresponding to Proto Norse AUJA would be
*AWI as well, neuter ja-stem, declined like 'hawi'.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Manie Lombard" <manielombard at c...>
wrote:
> Hails