[gothic-l] Re: *awi, *auja (was: kusanata)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Feb 25 09:33:07 UTC 2005

In which case: Go. *Skadinawi = OE scedenig = OIc. Skáney = Skaane,
if this contains the "island" word, in its broader sense of land
only partly surrounded by water.

LN

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at o...> wrote:

> Hails Manie,
>
> First, a correction to something I wrote: The word meaning "water
> meadow, land liable to flooding, island, etc.", jo-stem, feminine,
> would actually give Gothic *AWI in the nominative singular,
declined
> like 'mawi' (acc.sg. *auja, etc.).
>
> I think the word meaning "luck" is cited in the form AUJA by
Koebler

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM