[gothic-l] Re: Some more odd strong verb endings ?

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Jan 2 06:01:08 UTC 2005

Hi Ted,

NIMANDANS is the present participle of NIMAN "to take", with the
masculine nominative (=accusative) plural, see Wright para. 239.  It
means "taking" and is declined like an adjective (but see Wrighht
for the details).  You didn't find it in para. 286 because it's only
given there in the masculine singular form, which is just the
conventional way adjectives are listed in dictionaries, etc.

The present participle ending -AND- is common to all verbs strong
and weak, with the exception of Class 2 weak, which have -OND-.
(Class 1 weak verbs have -JAND-, Class 4 -NAND-.  Strong verbs
simply add -D- to the infinitive.)

The forms you cite which end in -AN- are past partiple endings of
strong verbs (also called "preterite participle"), see Wright 241 --
they can be declined as weak or strong adjectives, according to the
same rules as other adjectives.  For example: NUMANS "taken",
HAITANS "called".  Some made up examples:

IK NUMANS WAS "I was taken"
ÞAI NUMANAI WESUN "they were taken"

ÞO NUMANANONA USGIBANA WESUN "those things [which were] taken have
been paid back"

I'm not sure how well I explained that, so please let me know if
it's still confusing, or if you have any more questions.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "AIFoundations.org"