[gothic-l] Re: Reflexive pronouns + sa/is revisited

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 23 12:26:46 UTC 2005

There does not seem to be much evidence for my conjecture that Gothic "is"
and "sa" could be used to avoid ambiguity in third-person pronouns. Indeed, I
have come across several sentences that might have benefited from such a
convention. The following are all from Mark:

jah berun du imma baudana stammana, jah bedun ina ei lagidedi imma handau 7:32
and they brought to him a deaf stammerer, and asked him to lay a hand on him

jah qemun in Beþaniin, jah berun du imma blindan jah bedun ina ei imma
attaitoki 8:22
and they came to B, and brought to him a blind man, and asked him to touch him

jah þishwaruh þei ina gafahiþ, gawairpiþ ina, jah hwaþjiþ jah kriustiþ
tunþuns seinans, jah gastaurkniþ; jah qaþ siponjam þeinaim ei usdreibeina ina, jah
ni mahtedun 9:18
and [the demon] wherever he seizes him convulses him, and he foams at the
mouth and gnashes his teeth, and goes rigid; and I told your disciples to drive
him out, and they could not.

jah brahtedun ina at imma. Jah gasaihwands ina sunsaiw sa ahma tahida ina 9:20
and they brought him to him. And seeing him the demon at once convulsed him.

jah eis qeþun du im swaswe anabauþ im Iesus, jah lailotun ins 11:5
and they spoke to them as J had commanded them and they left them.

jah gasaihwands smakkabagm fairraþro habandan lauf atiddja, ei aufto bigeti
hwa ana imma; jah qimands at imma ni waiht bigat ana imma niba lauf 11:13
and seeing from a distance a figtree that had foliage he approached, in case
he should find something on it; and coming to it he found nothing on it but
foliage.

In sentences where forms of both pronouns occur, I have not seen a
distinction between them, but with luck others will; for Wright must have noticed
something. Examples:

iþ saei fraqisteiþ saiwalai seinai in meina jah in þizos aiwaggeljons,
ganasjiþ þo 8:35
and he who destroys his soul because of me and the gospel will save it.
This is remarkably like Wright's second example in para 431, but there is a
possible ambiguity since both the soul and the gospel are feminine.

sahwazuh saei afletiþ qen seina jah liugaiþ anþara horinoþ du þizai 10:11
whoever leaves his wife and marries another does adultery with her.

Gerry T.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM