a Gothic poem (verse 2)--articles & demonstratives

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Jul 4 11:26:36 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "rausch_roman" <aranwe at m...> wrote:

> >So possibly: so swero rûna leike; so swero leike rûna.
> >Or leaving out articles altogether: swera rûna leike.
>
> And what about: 'Swêra rûna þize leike' (or 'Rûna
> swêra þize leike')?
> This would be the same construction as: 'allans þiudinassuns
> þis
> midjungardis' - 'all the kingdoms of the world' (Luke 4:5) (by the
> way: 'Midgard'='world' in the Bible? Interesting..) The same goes
> for:
> 'wein galáuf þize reike' (?)

Good example.  I'll have to think about this.  I see that the
article/demonstrative regularly appears also with 'fairhvus' "the
world" or "this world".  E.g. John 9,5 is translated "the" in the
King James Bible and the Good News Bible.  It's translated "this" in
Ephesians 2,2 in the KJB, but "the" in the GNB:

A bi þizai aldai þis fairhvaus, bi reik waldufnjis luftaus
B bi þizai aldai þis aiwis, bi reik waldufnjis luftaus
KATA TON AIWNA TOU KOSMOU TOUTOU,
KATA TON ARXONTA THS ECOUSIAS TOU AEROS
"according to the course of this world,
according to the prince of the power of the air"

I wonder if we could paraphrase the Gothic: "according to [the
fashions/norms/mores of] this [particular] age/time/generation of
this [sinful physical] world [as opposed to the good spiritual
world]".  Does the idiom imply belief in other worlds or at least an
alternative to the/this world?  Or is that reading too much into
it?  Maybe the use of an article is to some extent conventional with
words for "world".

At 1Cor 1,20 'handugein þis fairhvaus' THN SOFIAN TOU KOSMOU "the
wisdom of this world" is contrasted with the higher wisdom of God.
Similarly 2Cor 7,10 is a contrast, even though the KJB has "the
world".  The "sorrow of the world" ´H...TOU KOSMOU LUPH 'þis
fairhvaus saurga" is being compared to 'so bi guþ saurga' "godly
sorrow".  2Cor 5,6 whilst we are at home in the body 'in þamma
leika' EN TW SWMATI, we are absent from the Lord.  Again, "the" but
with a notion of contrast verging on "this".  But Ephesians 1,4,
following the Greek, 'faur gasatein fairhvaus' KATABOLHS
KOSMOU "before the foundation of the world".

In the Skeireins, Marchand's translation has "this world" for 'þizos
manasedais'.  Often (but not always) 'sa' "the" or "this" or "that"
has an implication that the noun in question isn't the only thing of
its kind, and therefore needs to be distinguished as "the particular
one": "the/this world we live in", etc., or else "the/that one just
mentioned", the one that we're already talking about?

Compare 1Cor 12,14 jaþ-þan leik [TO SWMA] nist ains liþus, ak
managai.  15 jabai qiþai fotus þatei ni im handus, ni im þis leikis
[TOU SWMATOS]...

Both instances are "the body" in English, but only the second "the"
is expressed in Gothic.  Similarly recapitulative perhaps Gal 6,8.
The famous example of this is J 10,11 ik im hairdeis gods; hairdeis
sa goda saiwala seina lagjiþ faur lamba "I am the good sheperd; the
good shepherd lays down his life for [his] sheep", both = ´O POIMHN
´O KALOS.  J 8,32 sunja...so sunja, I think I already mentioned.
Greek and English have articles for both.  Another interesting one,
J 18,37-38, where a recapitulative article appears even where Greek
has no article.  Jesus says 'hvazuh saei ist sunjos' PAS ´O WN EK
THS ALHQEIAS "whoever is of the truth"; Pilot replies 'hva ist so
sunja' TI ESTIN ALHQEIA "what is truth" (no article in KJB "what is
truth", or GNB "and what is truth").

The other instances of 'þis leikis' x2 and 'þata leik' x4 are a
particular body, that of Jesus, except for J 6,63 þata leik [´H
SARC] ni boteiþ waiht "the flesh profiteth nothing" (i.e. flesh
doesn't do any good).  This is interesting, because it's abstract,
much like your phrase, and doesn't seem to refer back to a recently
mentioned 'leik'.  For "the body", "the flesh" with no article, see
J 6,52; J 8,15; Mt 6,22; Col2,19; R 7,15; R 7,25; R 8,1-10, and so
on.  This seems to be the normal way.  (All but the first of these
examples are abstract).

> The word seems to be pure Gothic, without cognates in other
Germanic
> languages. I wonder whether it's connected to something ...
> galáubeins?

And 'liufs' maybe (by ablaut)?  Cf. the two meanings of MnE dear,
NHG teuer.