[gothic-l] Re: Pronunciation questions

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Jun 9 16:57:07 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at h...> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to know how words ending in -jus in singular would be in
> plural.
> Like waddjus. How to say walls?

Hi Fredrik,

Nominative plural not attested for such words, as far as I can
think.  I checked: waddjus, assarjus, stubjus, drunjus.  Are there
any others?  I can only imagine that it was the same as the
nominative singular.  *wajj- > waddj.  *–iwiz > *-iuz > -jus.  waddj
+ jus = waddjus (the combination -jjus is impossible after a
consonant).  See Wright §150.

> Is there any rule when gg is pronounced as ng and when as gg?
> Like siggwan, that is like singwan, right? But triggws like ggw?

No rule.  That's right in both cases.  Usually the only way to tell
is by the etymology, that is by comparing cognates in other
languages.  There are occasions where /Ng/ is spelt <ng> instead of
<gg> (bringiþ, bringandans), but otherwise you have to look outside
of Gothic.  Luckily there aren't that many where the spelling <gg>
= /gg/, so not much to remember: bliggwan, usbliggwan (OHG bliuwan);
glaggwo, glaggwaba, glaggwuba, *glaggwus (ON glöggr, OE gleaw, OHG
glau); skuggwa (ON skuggi "shadow", skugg-sjá "mirror", OE scúwa,
OHG scûwo "shadow"); triggws, triggwaba, triggwa (ON tryggr, OE
tríewe, OHG triuwi).  See Wright §151.

> Also wanna know if there's any evidence about letter x, how it
should
> be pronounced, or if not, what you think about it.
> I've been told that it should be as k, but couldn't it be possible
> that it was as a german ach-sound?

The evidence points rather to the pronunciation /k/.  The ach-sound,
[x], is not thought to have occurred initially in Gothic, except
perhaps as an allophone of /h/ before /l/, /n/ and /r/.  Greek <x>
is usually represented by Gothic <k> (e.g. Col 4,7: Twkeikus (A),
Twkekus (B) = TUXIKOS), except in Xristus and aiwxaristia, and three
other names where Gothic <x> alternates with <k>.  Twice a
hypercorrection occurs: 2Tim 4,10 Xreskus = KRHSKHS; Zaxxaiaus =
ZAKXAIOU Neh 7,14.  Most likely the unusual spelling Xristus is for
symbolic reasons, as with the special abbreviations for frauja &
guþ.  See Streitberg §20.4.  It's quite possible that the Goths were
already familiar with the name Christ in its Latin form before they
became Christians.

http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1920/#REF-toc

> I have also thought about another thing. The letter w is sometimes
> pronounced as y, and then, sometimes, it is written as y when
using
> roman letters.

My current guess is that when <w> is used as vowel in Greek
loanwords (representing Greek upsilon), it was pronounced as a high
front vowel = Gothic /i/.

(1) In Modern Greek, upsilon has become [i].  Note the spellings
Lwstrws = LUSTROIS (2Tim 3,11 AB); Fwnikiska (FOINIKISSA).

(2) Codex Segonensis/Parisina, late 9th c. has <Simaion> which the
Codex Arg. spells <Swmaions>.  In this same manuscript, a list of
equivalent letters in Roman and Gothic script matches Roman <i> to
Gothic <w>.

http://www.gotica.de/

(3) West Germanic *kîrikôn (attested in English, German, Dutch,
Frisian, and as a loan word from English in Old Norse), whence
English church, probably came from Greek kurikon (<kuriakon) via
Gothic.  The Oxford English Dictionary: "...a word adopted in
Germanic as *kîrjak- would phonetically become *kîrjik-, and this
normally in WGer kîrik-. Possibly also *kîrjika might, by
metathesis, give the *kîrikja app. required for OE. ciricean; but
the OE. palatalization might simply be due to the prec. i as in ic,
ME. ich, I pron."  Re. OE forms like cyrce (beside cirice), the OED
says: "The form cyrice, often erroneously assumed as the original,
is only a later variant of cirice (with y from i before r, as in
cyrs-, fyren, etc.); c before original OE. y (umlaut of u) could not
give modern ch-, but only k-"  In this case it's not umlaut of u,
but presumably the point is that it wasn't interpreted as such
either.

The OED goes on: "There are points of difficulty in the form of
kirika and its gender. Its identification with KURIAKON assumes the
representation of Gr. U by i in Teutonic. Ulphilas did not so
represent U; nor did he use u, but retained the Gothic letter
corresponding in alphabetic place and form to Gr.U, which he
otherwise used for v or w. But, before the development of umlaut,
and consequent evolution of y as a Teutonic sound, i was really the
nearest Teutonic sound to U, and in point of fact is its usual
representative."

Re. the long vowel, the OED prints a plural KURIAKA, with long U,
stress on final syllable.  But Streitberg says that length in Greek
at this time was only a function of stress.  The sequence /ir/ is
unusual in Gothic, possibly encouraging lengthening (but maybe not:
cf. hiri, hirjats, hirjiþ).  Or could it be due to the shift of
stress to the initial syllable as normal in Germanic.  But the OED
also prints reconstructed forms with a short vowel *kirik-.  "The
continental German forms point to *kirika, *kîrika."  Could the –
jako have been reinterpreted as the Gothic diminutive –iko?

> But if that's so, why not write v
> instead of b is those cases when the letter b was used for a v-
sound?
> E.g. naubaimbair is spelled with b, coz they had no v but when
using
> roman letters it could be written as nauvaimbair. Or what do you
> think about that???

There are a lot of unknowns regarding Gothic pronunciation, so
radical changes in orthography would sometimes involve an
interpretation, which could prove incorrect and have to be revised.
Medial /b/ after a vowel is usually considered to have been a
bilabial fricative, as in modern Spanish, where the letters <v> and
<b> are interchangeable from a phonetic point of view, their use
only fixed by convention or for historical reasons.  But there are
disagreements about how to interpret the meagre evidence for Gothic
pronunciation, so a modified orthography could be controversial.  If
some people are reading a particular sound as bilabial [B], others
as or [v] or [b], it's nice to have a logical orthography that
caters for all tastes.  Importantly, there is no ambiguity with
Gothic <b>, since the presumed differences in pronunciation are
allophonic (entirely predictable by position) not phonemic.  But the
sequence <air> is ambiguous, as it could, just going by the
spelling, be /áir/ or, as it is, /aír/.  So if you wanted to make a
modified orthography for Gothic, that might be the place to start.
Although again, that could involve making decisions about the value
of certain letters that might have to be revised in the light of new
information.  Adopting the spelling <ng> where appropriate would be
a logical and unproblematic step, and has manuscript authority,
although such spellings are very much in the minority.  I have seen
some academic papers that do this, and also use the spellings <e>
and <o> for <aí> and <aú>, for convenience when discussing sound
changes or comparing Gothic forms with cognates.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM