About the origin of suffix os -question

homermakedonski homermakedonski at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 28 21:23:12 UTC 2005

Dear all
 Please forgive my lingua.amateurism but I have nobody else to ask
then you in here

Searching the  gender changing problem with the nouns I have notice
something like :

GeA-fem.gender
GheOS-masculine gender
------
TheA- fem.gen
TheOS -masc. gend

When searching the origin of word Zeus I have read nice explaination
in   Henry George Liddel's and Robert Scott's ,Greek-Englesh Lexicon
sixth edition ,Oxford ,May I869

 as  follow

-" ....Äéüò-gen of Zåýò  from obsol . Äßs. [ ĭ ]
*ÄÉ'Ó , an old nom .for Æåíò,wich appears in the oblique cases   Äéüò

Äéú, Äßá(pl.Äßåò, .Äßáò,Plut.2. 425 E ),and the Lat. Dis ,
Diespiter ,
Dijovis .The contr.dat.Äß occurs in C.I no. I 6. Pind. N. I. III :
the
Acc Äß íçäß; v.  Æåíò ( V. sub äßïò )..."

page -389

I am supposing that

*ÄÉ'Ó
could be shortly from
*ÄÉ'OÓ

Here is my dilema

Also I  suppose that
origin of the suffiks OÓ having it's origin in
"suffiks" *ON
and that the whole word
*ÄÉ'OÓ originate in
*ÄÉ'ON

at  Page.1130 about the Os section beginning is

ÏÓ ,Þ,ü,gen.ïà,
then at 1132 Page is stay as

'¼Ó,Þ, 'ü,v .. II.I 609., 305,Od. II 5 I 5 ) gen: ïßï .3
333, Od I.330 , ect.:Possessive Pron.:          I. of the third per-
son  for Ý

Knowing that genitive is case what is " expressing ownership"
I would like to know
How do we read this
Does it mean that "ON" originated in ÏÓ
or