[gothic-l] Re: Crimean runes

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Mar 8 03:38:39 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Troels Brandt" <trbrandt at p...>
wrote:

> I am not the right to answer and llama has answered the linquistc
> part.

Far from it: I haven´t answered anything, only suggested some more
questions!  I just tried to give a summary of what sort of
inscriptions have been found so far that are attributed to East
Germanic peoples such as the Goths and Heruls.  Anything else is
pure speculation on my part.

Troels mentions the idea of runes used as ideographs, standing for
the concept represented by the name of the rune
(called "Begriffsrunen" in German, "begrepsruner" in Norwegian,
which term is sometimes translated "concept runes" in English).
That´s something I hadn´t thought of, but an interesting possibility
to consider.  The technique is probably used in some Scandinavian
inscriptions predating the Viking Age (e.g. Stentoften & Gummarp),
and it is attested somewhat later in Anglo-Saxon manuscripts, but
there are many inscriptions where the use of concept runes is
disputed, or impossible to prove.  There is one widely accepted
example of a concept rune in an inscription considered to be Gothic:
the Pietroassa ring, found in Romania.  Here, as at Stentoften, the
ideograph as part of a text which otherwise is spelt out in full--
rather than a series of initials.

Here is a quote from JH Looijenga's book "Runes Around the North
Sea...", she is talking about finds from before the Viking period:

"Personally I have difficulties determining when and if an
ideographic rune (or Begriffsrune) was used, since the runewriters'
criteria for using them are unknown to us. There is at least
one clear instance of the use of an ideographic rune: the single j
rune on the Stentoften stone, representing its name *jara
meaning `good year' = harvest. The peculiar use of this ideograph
is further emphasized by the fact that it was carved in an archaic
fashion. The h in Thorsberg aisgzh may or may not be such a
Begriffsrune, there is no graphic peculiarity (h has no
archaic forerunner), but, in Antonsen's interpretation, it could
symbolize its name on syntactic grounds. In some other cases,
isolated runes may be read as abbreviations, such as the r in the
Sievern bracteate, which apparently denotes r[unoz]. Single runes
may have been read as abbreviations in the oldest inscriptions, and
may later on have come to represent the symbolic meaning of the
rune's name."

http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/

Needless to say, with a whole series of abbreviations, it would be
very hard to narrow down the possible interpretations.  If they
stood for the concepts embodied in the rune names, it's easy to
think up symbolic interpretations, but hard if not impossible to
test them.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM