[gothic-l] Re: Critique wanted on Gothic pronunciation

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 12 20:20:53 UTC 2005

Hails

I had forgotten about that recording! I wonder how it would sound to
hear again, after all these years. I think I was making continuant too
many d's and b's, and of course pronouncing ai/au diphthongs.

Perhaps you are right about i. I took my cues also from noting the
apparently allophonic nature of short i or short e in early Germanic,
perhaps this contributes to the ease toward i-mutation.

For instance in Procopius: Ala'rikhos, Gise'likhos, Oui'ttigis,
O'ptaris (-rin). The accent suggests the last two syllables are short
in length. The nature of the short i however is still debated. I was
taught pronunciation of ancient Greek according to the phonologies
outlined in Vox Graeca of Sidney Allen. I don't recall his discussion
of short i, but I will try to find it. I presume the later Greek had
tense short i in accordance with later demotic, perhaps already in
Byzantine. Stephen Daitz is perhaps more well known authority on
Classical Greek pronunciation, esp. for theater. You can read about
his CD/book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579700969/ref=pd_sim_b_2/104-0209094-6289540?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Anyway the pronunciation is impressive. It is also good to hear
different interpretations, almost like different "accents", perhaps
similar to how Latin was regionalized by various languages' influence.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM