[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Gods

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Fri Mar 25 07:01:09 UTC 2005

*****

Llama Nom,
your reconstruction and explanation of Gothic *Gaizawandils
as <wandering star> looks very attractive
(maybe a more correct is <star wanderer>?).
Accepting them as a whole I'd suggest
a Slavonic origin for <Gaiza->
(cf. Polish <gwiazda>, Russian <zvezda> - star).

Vladimir

-----Original Message-----
From: llama_nom [mailto:600cell at oe.eclipse.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:03 PM
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic Gods

They look fine to me, except that Old Norse -a in feminine and
neuter weak nouns = Go. -o.  'Sunno' "sun" is attested 3 times in
this form, once as a feminine accusative: sunnon seina, and twice as
a ?masculine/neuter dative 'sunnin'.  Wright reconstructs the latter
as masc. *sunna, but Braune/Helm suggests that a neuter
alternative 'sunno' would be a more likely, given the similarity to
the feminine form, and maybe the influence of neuter 'sauil' "sun".

'Mena' I don't recognise, but ON 'Menja' I would guess could be Go.
*Manjo.  Likewise Fenja, *Fanjo.  Any connection with the Matronae
Aufanie, Germanic goddesses to whom many Roman Age inscriptions are
dedicated?

OE Eastre (in Bede's Northumbrian Eostre), OHG Ostara (long 'o') =
Go. *Austro < Gmc. *Austron.  Her feast, like Yule, would be plural:
Go. *Austrons, cf. New High German Ostern.

Nairyus, Wulthus.  *Nairюus, Wulюus.  As you're probably aware, the
English 'thin', represented in the Gothic alphabet with a character
that looks like the Greek letter psi.

'Enguz' is the form in the Vienna-Salzburg codex, the final <z>
being an Old High German spelling of [s], as in English "sea".  In
Wulfilan spelling this would probably be *Iggws = *Ingws < Gmc.
*Ingwaz.

Connected with Ing in the OE rune poem are the Heardingas, whose
name appears in ON as the legendary twins the Haddingjar, and in
Roman writers as the Astingi, the Vandal dynasty who conquered North
Africa.  Go. *Hazdiggos = Hazdingos.  Regarding these twin gods, see
Tacitus 43 on the Alci.  Their individual names are known only in
connection with the Vandals: *Rafts "beam", *Raus "reed" (recorded
in Greek as Raptos, Raos).  For possible archeological evidence of
the cult of the twins among the Naharvali, see HR Ellis Davidson,
Gods and Myths of Northern Europe, p. 169.  Jakob Grimm saw this
tribe, also given as Nahanarvali, as being named after a goddess,
positing a Gothic *Nawarne-haleis, the people of *Nawarns or
*Nawairns.  Nawarns would then be a goddess of death, cf. Gothic
naus corpse (ON nбr, OE ne) < Germanic *nawiz, and Lith. nahwe
(f.) 'death'.  If that's right, the *Nawairns might make more sense
as the Go. form.  According to Grimm, this deity would be the
etymological and spiritual precursor of the norns, known to us from
the later Norse mythology.  But I've no idea if there's anything in
all this speculation, or whether this ending -rnaz is attested
elsewhere.  I haven't seen such an explanation of ON 'norn'
elsewhere.  Could be *Nawairns is a product of philological
mythology?  Very likely a coincidence (or maybe this was what gave
Grimm the idea), but there was a Russian death goddess Nav, and an
Old Bohemian (Czech) Navaza, listed in the Mater Verborum gloss
among the demons of plague.

I'd also like to propose *Auzawandils (or *Auzawandila?), as a
Gothic equivalent of ON Aurvandill whose frozen toe was thrown into
the sky by Thor to become a star -- Venus?  (OE Earendel 'brightest
of angels', German Orendel the mariner, ON Vandill the sea-king,
Danish Orvendill the father of Amblшthж = Hamlet; Langobardic
Auriwandalo).  Interpretations of this name have been varied.  The
second element is probably cognate with the name of the Vandal
tribe.  The first is disputed.  Theories mentioned by Rudolf Simek's
Dictionary of Northern Mythology include links with ON aurr ('gold'
related to Latin aureus), giving a meaning 'golden' or 'bright
Vandal' or 'ray of light' (with the second element from ON vцndr,
staff); or ON aurr 'wet gravel'; all highly speculative.  Jakob
Grimm saw it as 'arrow' (ON цrr, Gothic arhvazna), since Orvendill's
father in Saxo is Gervendill, 'spear Vandal' -- but this etymology
seems particularly strained.  I don't know if anyone else has
suggested the following, but my guess is that the original Germanic
form was actually *Auza-wandilaz, with the first element from the
Indo-European root aus- 'dawn' (found in English east, Latin aurora,
Sanskrit usha).  This suggests a meaning 'dawn-wanderer' or 'dawn-
turner', an appropriate name for the morning star.  Maybe *wandil-
meant 'planet' too (cf. Greek. asteres planetai 'wandering stars'
and Latin stellae errantes, with the same meaning).  Could
Gervendill (there is a cognate Old High German personal name:
Kerwentil recorded) have been the evening star?  The Gothic form
would be *Gaizawandils.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM