[gothic-l] what is the real objection against the Scandiavian origin of the Goths?

vendelkrka vendelkrka at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 23 20:56:07 UTC 2005

I have read a lot about the pros and cons about the Scandinavian
origin of the Goths, and I simply don't understand why some scholars
are so categorically against it.

The way I see it, Poland is either the urheimat of the Germanic
languages, or the Gothic language arrived to the Vistula basin from
somewhere else. If we look at toponymics the names Götaland and
Gotland are already suggesting where to look for the origin. If we
combine with Jordanes account, it becomes even more convincing.
Moreover, the Gothic language had a great deal in common with North
Germanic and especially with Gutnish.

Now, I'd be perfectly happy if there was a just as convincing theory
about a north German origin, but AFAIK, there is none.

My impression is that the archaelogical objections are carefully
limited to the time period after 100 BC, ignoring the period 600 BC-
300 BC when the climate of Scandinavia deteriorated.

So what is the REAL problem with the Scandinavian origin?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM