[gothic-l] Re: Gothic, Yiddish and High German

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon May 2 17:43:42 UTC 2005

Devil's Advocate mode: Apparent similarity isn't always the whole
story.  Languages relationships can't always be represented by a
neat branching family tree.  There may be parallel evolution, and a
cultural and geographical closeness can lead to similarities between
languages that were once more distant relations, while
a 'genetically' close relation can end up looking superficially very
different.  In mainland Scandinavia, for example, Norwegian has
undergone many developments in common with Danish and Swedish,
obscuring its one-time closer kinship with Icelandic.

That said, Yiddish certainly seems VERY CLEARLY like a variety of
German to me.  I can't see any way in which it's more like Gothic
than any other German dialect.  So unless we have any specific
suggestions there's no reason to doubt the conventional view yet.

Llama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, macmaster at r... wrote:
> It seems to me that someone familiar with the various languages --
Gothic,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM