[gothic-l] Re: "the"

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon May 16 16:06:42 UTC 2005

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
wrote:
> I wonder if not Protogermanic could have lacked definite article and
> hence Gothic which is closest to PGmc. The Nordic  languages as well,
> being geographically random, could have evaded  some influence from
> the 1st language shift and kept the original lack of definite
> articles, but then modified with an entclinic system. If so it is
> indeed true that NGmc is closer to EGmc. The idea of NWGmc I have
> never supported.

Hi Ingemar,

This is something I'd very much like to know more about, the
relationship between these three branches of Germanic, and the
question of how to categorise the earliest Scandinavian runic
inscriptions (NWG? Proto Norse?).  But I haven't read what the experts
say yet so I'd better leave it to someone wiser to summarise the
arguments.  Bear in mind that in the earliest examples of Old English
poetry the ancestors of our definite article still behave more like
demonstrative pronouns.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM